Social Icons

Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2013

I had the time of my life...





Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be blindfolded, kidnapped (by the mafia or something like that), transported to some far off (possibly remote location), escape your captors and the have to figure out where in the holy fuck you are?

Great! Me too!

Now you can do just that with this addictive little game called Help me! I’ve Been Kidnapped by the Fucking Mafia or Something and I Escaped but I Don’t Know Where They Were Holding Me. Seriously, I Could be Almost Anywhere by Now: The Game Geoguessr

Using Google Street View, you basically wander around whatever random place (again, where I can only assume you’ve just woken up in after being abducted and, I assume, held for ransom by a criminal organization). Then you have to try to make your best guess as to where you are.

It’s not so easy, but luckily, you can rule out a good chunk of the world that lacks Google Street View (i.e. huge swaths of Asia, South America, most of Africa, the Arctic, and Antarctic, etc). The remaining regions aren’t small, however. Still, if you can make your way to some place semi-populated or a few signs, then you can at least narrow it down to a country almost purely based on language. It’s not foolproof, but it’s not a bad rule of thumb.

Fun game, check it out.

No comments: