Social Icons

Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2012

R.A.P. statt E.K.G. - January 2012










I'll say this right off the bat, I can't upload the last show right now. I can't find my phone's USB cord, so I can't get the file off my phone. And my phone's bluetooth is also fucked...so I can't really do anything about that. However, as usual, I do have some commentary about the show, as well as the playlist (which can be found at the end of the post). That way if you're curious about it...you can re-assemble it yourself. Just without my voice...unless you take the time to splice together random commentary from past shows to add it to the music...but anyway, it wouldn't be the same. So don't even bother trying. I'll bump this post up once I'm able to get the show online.

As I mentioned recently, there was an issue with a listener (and then with the radio station) about my show in December. I worked on a statement with Frosty that I read on-air this month. Unfortunately, I should have split it up into two moderation breaks instead of one, because I didn't plan in enough time and I ended up reading it very quickly. Too quickly. Also apparently, I cannot properly pronounce the word "antisemitic" in German...and I kinda giggled inappropriately at my inability to do so.

Frosty's going over the statement again and I'll post it here when he's done (in addition to cross-posting it on the RAP statt EKG tumblr). That way we can all be on the same page again.

I was incredibly nervous in the days (and hours and minutes) leading up to this month's show,  hyper-aware about all the possible listeners just waiting to give me a piece of their mind, but no additional complaints so far. Once I was on the air, however, it was business as usual. And fun as hell.

I love being on the radio. I like talking about music and then playing it. I'm not a super fancy DJ; I can't cut or scratch and I barely give a second thought about fading or mixing one song into another. I say "um" more than I should and I laugh at my own inside jokes with myself. But it's probably one of the only things that I do these days (aside from writing) that is specifically for my own personal enjoyment. Of course, I intend on adding more things to that list, but for right now, that's about it.

So when I got back home from doing the show, I was a little more than disheartened to see that the discussion on the internal mailing list for the radio station was still pumping out disparaging remarks about my decision to play the K.I.Z. track. In particular, this doozy of a message (hastily translated by moi):


"I would never (despite any intended irony) play this type of song. It's out of the question. At least in this day and age...In my opinion, irony after the year 2000 should be examined differently than in the 80s. I would go so far as to say that hip-hop with ambiguous statements should be removed from the [radio] program altogether. These guys are too vague and their lyrics have too many double meanings. We should just get rid of it, right? There are programs to help reform neo-nazis, we don't have to give them or any potential sympathizers any input. Whoever reads the lyrics without any background information is just stunned at first. It's overly devious. We all know what racism means, right? And we know how quickly this can turn into a slippery slope. The times, when someone could play a song like this and hope for a reflective audience, are long gone.


P.S. In my opinion, this should be considered differently from the many bands in the 80s that appropriated Nazi symbolism. That's a different story from a different era and the people were more conscious of this at the time."

TL;DR? Apparently we all missed the memo where irony/sarcasm/parody are no longer valid rhetorical devices. It was ok in the 1980s and up to 2000, but now people are dumb and rappers = neo-Nazis. Clutch. Your. Pearls.

For whatever it's worth, I didn't actually apologize, I merely stated my position. Over the instrumental to the K.I.Z. song at the top of the post. Then I played this song, then I played the Nikki Lynette song, and then -- just for the fucking hell of it -- I played *another* K.I.Z. song that they would likely never complain about (unless they saw the video)






I've come to the realization that if I were to continue at FSK, this is what I would be up against all the time. And for all the fun that I have while actually doing my show, it's really not worth having to deal with this bullshit.

That said, I don't want to leave the other Weekly Operation shows in the lurch. Their shows are good and I can highly recommend listening to them and checking them out. Anyway, I'll be doing a show in February and March (while looking out for a replacement) and then I will likely just start a monthly podcast in the summer.

So that is the story...here is the playlist: 


 


Brother Ali - Fresh Air 
XV - That's Just Me 
Beastie Boys ft. Santigold - Don't play no game that I can't win (K.Flay rmx) 
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Ray Dalton - Can't Hold Us 
Casper - Die letzte Gang der Stadt 
Herr von Grau - Dabei 
K.Flay - Party 
Johnny Polygon - Fucking Awesome 
Grieves, Budo K.Flay - Lost in the Sun 
Grieves - Bloody Poetry 
Pac Div - The Greatness 
Evidence - It wasn't me 
Marz Lovejoy - Sticky 
Tech N9ne ft. Ceza, J.L., Uso, Yelawolf, Twista, Busta Rhymes, D-Loc, Twisted Insane - Worldwide Choppers 
Kamp & Whizz Vienna - So sorry 
Nikki Lynette - Shut the F up boy 
KIZ - Fremdgehen 
Saïan Supa Crew - Maladie 
Faf Larage & Akhenaton - Je dance pas 
Milk, Coffee & Sugar - Prevu pa prevu 
Icke & Er - Ich rette die Welt nicht 
Dendemann - Das Lied mit dem 
Samy Deluxe - Grönländer (One Take Wonder Nr.5)
Marteria - Neue Nikes 
Action Bronson & Statik Selektah - Not Enough Words 
Action Bronson & Statik Selektah - Never a Dull Moment 
Maeckes - Das letzte Mal 
Pyranja- Reine Nervensache

No comments: