Social Icons

Pages

Friday, April 09, 2010

R.A.P. statt E.K.G. - April 2010




Part 1

I simply don't have the power of concentration needed to speak off the top of my head. I can't even follow jotted down notes. I need a script. That's what I've discovered since doing my radio show. When I write down exactly what I want to say (more or less), I can see the connections between the words that I'm saying and the point that I want to make. And if I don't write it down, then who knows what going to happen from one sentence to the next. At any rate, I pre-produced my part of the show at the FSK studio last night right after work. In my head, I had all this great stuff that I wanted to say. I just didn't write any of it down. It's a little rambling and disconnected, but I'm pleased with it overall.

This is my birthday show. The theme sort of revolves around finding your place in hip-hop culture given the fact that hip-hop is generally considered a youth subculture (peripheral influences on mainstream culture aside). The idea for the show came to me after an afternoon of coffee and talking with Toby, who was stuck at home with a torn ligament at the time, and also from an interview with Ghostface Killah where he said:

"You gotta tell the fans that you not gettin’ no younger here – we gettin’ older! And everybody don’t sell crack no more, man. I don’t sell crack, yo. I ain’t movin’ no bricks or none of that other shit. I ain’t shoot nobody in like…since the early 90’s, man. How long you gonna be 40 years old and actin’ like you still sellin’ cracks and you on the block and you doin’ this and you doin’ that when times is more serious, man. We in a fuckin’ recession, B! Ain’t nobody gettin’ no money, man! We gotta stop lyin’ to ourselves and lyin’ to the fans. And the fans gotta stop bein’ so dumb and ignorant, and know it’s time to talk about grown-man situations."

Source: Ghostface Explains Why His Next Record Is Straight R&B, Unkut Magazine July 2009


In a perfect world all of my best ideas would be inspired by Toby and Ghostface Killah.

Wait...what?

I'll post Part 2 later, 'cause I don't have it yet.

P.S. I'm having issues with Blogger effing up my page...it'll be sorted somehow. Just bear with me.

3 comments:

The Beech said...

Shit, das ist die erste Show in der ich alle Tracks kenne. Tja, im Texta Track trifft ja fast alles zu, also muss ich mich wohl damit abfinden.

lebrookski said...

well, almost all the songs are older stuff (with maybe the exception of 2 or 3 tracks). it's not often you find people in their early 20s rapping about what it's like to get older :-)

Toby said...

...Das Stück von Icke & Er ist ja grandios. Wie überhaupt die Show. Nur auf Konzerte... da geh ich nicht mehr. ;)